Monday, March 8, 2010

Week 7: Kiki's Delivery Service

Kiki's Delivery Service is magical...literally, but also just magical as in it makes me so happy every time I see it. Kiki is a girl on a mission and she's going to do her thing and try even when it's not working out for her. She doesn't let things hinder her.

Except for when she gets deathly ill which is understandable. Girl can't go riding around on a broom in the middle of a rainstorm!

I was not able to attend the class discussion because of my participation in the strike, which was disappointing because I always enjoy the discussions and feel that they offer insight into the films that I wouldn't normally have thought before.

Also I've noticed that the music in Miyazaki's films are always super legit! I'm into it.

Kiki's loss of magical powers seems to coincide with technology and the idea that technology can do everything that she does magically. But it also seems to relate to firstlovecrush babedude Tombo and that situation, although I'm not sure directly how they relate. It might have to do with the fact that Tombo was on the dirigible or that he was creating his OWN flying machine. But Kiki's flying abitliy is also linked as a creative outlet, like Ursula with her art who suggests she let it go and not worry about only to have it come back to her at a later time...

Also what's the deal at the end. She can no longer understand Jiji, which is really disappointing because Jiji's so great! Does this relate to Jiji's cat love or is this solely reliant on Kiki and her maturity or I guess no longer necessary need to have conversations with her cat because she has other friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment