Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Princess Mononoke

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

I think last week I said Porco Rosso was my fave...but wowy zow. I'm overwhelmed as this is my first time watching the film, but I'm into it. I'm into it in a big way.

The skill of animation has definitely been amped up a notch. This might have to do with computer capabilities, but it's done in such a subtle and skilled way that it doesn't even feel like computer animation. I seriously was getting teary eyed at the brilliance that is the Night Walker...sorry that's lame I know, but man...so beautiful!!! The colors and way it moves...was insane.

My mind has been blown. I don't even know how to start critiquing this film or analyzing it because there was just so much going on.

I guess what I'll say for now is I was intrigued by the lead character being male. This is one of the few male protagonists.

Aw man and the demon!!! Those writhing worms was so gnarly. And I have to say San's introduction...best in cinema history? Sucking blood out of a wounded wolf. I like that gory business. Which is maybe why I enjoyed Princess Mononoke so much...it definitely has it's faire share of gore!

I'm definitely glad we're watching this twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment