Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Castle in the Sky and Todorov!


The first time I saw Castle in the Sky, I really despised it. I thought the plot was cheesy and the characters bothered me. I'm glad I had the opportunity to watch it again because my opinion of it has definitely shifted.

One thing I've noticed with Hayao Miyazaki films is the settings are similar. There's a definitely technologically advanced society, what with complex and inventive flying machines, but there's also an old world, European feel to them. It's this idea that these are complex societies, but they've somehow digressed to the old ways of technological uses. Maybe the society has reached a tipping point where it once was industrialized, but became too expansive and collapsed in on itself.

Todorov's article on The Fantastic was very interesting. It appears that Castle in the Sky would fall under the category of fantastic marvelous. There is never a moment of hesitation where the magical world that the characters live in needs to be justified. It just is the way it is. Of course it's normal that a girl should be slowly floating down from the sky.


No comments:

Post a Comment